As my faithful readers know, I am passionate about a lot of things: Fashion, Beauty, Entertainment, the Arts and the list goes on and on. Many of you who know me off-line also know that I super passionate about social and political topics. I generally don’t delve into these topics so much on the blog (I do on social media all the time) as that wasn’t the original purpose of this blog. But as with me as a person, the Curvy Socialite is growing up so to speak. Don’t worry I’m not going to stop talking about the fun events I attend or the newest fashion collections and beauty products hitting the market. Rather, I am going to throw some more of my favorite topics of discussion into the mix.
What spurned this sudden need to get a little more serious?
Well it’s twofold.
Firstly, this isn’t something that is really so sudden. I have been trying to figure out a way to introduce some of current events in a way that was in line with the blog and would shock your systems too much. But then, I went out for coffee today.
I love my coffee. I make a concerted effort not to have any important discussions before my first cup of joe—I am not responsible for what may come out of my mouth prior to that first dose of caffeine. Today I made my way down to my local coffee shop to see what was happening about town and what the hot topics of the day were. My little coffee shop caters to all kinds of people (young, old, male, female, all races, colors, creeds, etc., etc.). On this fine day, two ladies (co-workers) were chatting away (ok, I admit it….I was eaves dropping; but in my defense, they were talking kind of loudly so I couldn’t help it) when one woman asked the other if she was going to vote in next month’s elections. Her response left me shocked and dismayed. Ok, maybe that was a little dramatic but yes, I was a little shocked by the fact that she said no.
I can already see you rolling your eyes. Keep on doing that—they’ll get stuck like that. Anyway….didn’t we all learn in junior high and high school about the importance of voting? So what if we’re not electing the next president (next month are the midterm elections)—there are still loads of important issues on the table. What issues you ask? Let me drop some knowledge on you….
- ECONOMY: So we’re not as bad off as we were when President Obama took over the Oval office but on the flip side we still aren’t in our pre-recession glory either. This is still a very hot topic for Republicans and Democrats alike.
- IMMIGRATION: Remember when all those little kids started crossing the border earlier this year? Little ones who were barely out of the toddler stage were making that treacherous journey to what they hoped to be a better life. It’s still going on. It’s just not a major headline right now. But it is definitely a hot button topic for Congress.
- FOREIGN POLICY: It’s kind of hard to escape the news about ISIS/ISIL and their ever expanding reach in Iraq and Syria. This group is recruiting young men and women (yes teenage girls around the world are heading to Syria to take up arms and become the mothers of the next generation of terrorists) from all over to help in their “fight.” The President admitted that he didn’t think ISIS was that much of a threat….saying he was wrong would be the understatement of the year. But best believe, the Republicans will not let him forget it.
- WOMEN’S ISSUES: Before some of you start huffing and puffing…this is not a discussion about pro-choice vs. pro-life but rather topics in general that affect women as a whole. From equal pay to birth control and beyond…we women can actually be the ones that turn the tide of this election if we head to the polls.
- HEALTHCARE: Why are we still talking about this after Obamacare was passed? Because many Republicans still want to repeal it and are making a point of reminding voters about the logistical problems that occurred with the roll out.
Mind you I am only talking about things on the national level. There is so much going on on the state level across the country that this post would become a novel. But if you are interested in finding out more about those topics, check what the lovely ladies over at the SKIMM had to say in their guide to the 2014 Midterm Elections.
You still not convinced about the importance of getting out there to vote? Well maybe Lil Jon and all his celebrity friends can convince you to “#TURNOUTFORWHAT.”
What are you going to turn out to vote for?